DIWO co-curation

On 26/2/07 11:12, "Ruth Catlow" wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> During the Do It With Others (DIWO) E-Mail-Art co-curation event,
> fruit, crisps and Portugese custard tarts were eaten. The spirit and
> philosophy of DIWO e-mail-art was discussed, work was reviewed,
> technology was wrestled with, objects were moved around HTTP Gallery;
> all accompanied by a steady stream of chat.
>
> The idea was that any of the subscribers to the NetBehaviour list
> could contribute to the curation of the upcoming DIWO exhibition at
> HTTP (which opens this Thursday!) by attending the gallery or joining
> the meeting online. Information about how to join the online event
> was posted to the list an hour beforehand.
>
> For the co-curation event we used a combination of the following
> technologies and services:-
> - public IRC (Gabbly.com) (projected on a wall in the gallery)
> - streaming audio broadcast (Skype)
> - webcam uploading a new image of the gallery to a webpage every 10
> seconds (webcam)
>
> Present in the flesh were the Furtherfield crew, Frederik Lesage and
> James (regular, esteemed DIWO contributor).
> Through the afternoon, the online event was visited by eight people.
> Sim, Dion and Tone named themselves and joined the conversation. The
> other numbers remained silent, observing lurkers.
>
> Frederik manned the Public IRC and, as 'DIWOchatbod', documented the
> conversation in the gallery for the benefit of the online curators.
> So what follows is the unexpurgated chatlog of the event. We will
> post a more digestible summary of events shortly.
>
> : )
> Ruth
> ===========================================================
>
> Chatlog Record of the Do It With Others (DIWO) E-Mail-Art co-curation
> event Sunday 25th Feb 2007 2-5pm GMT:
>
> ruth: ruth is testing this facility now
>
> and here she is again
>
> gabber228: hey
>
> sim gishel: hi
>
> law: hi sim, we'll be getting going in a few minutes
>
> Welcome to Gabbly!
>
> gabber44 has joined.
>
> gabber44 is now marc_g
>
> marc_g: hi there...
>
> Sent at 02:08 pm on Sunday.
>
> gabber719 has joined.
>
> gabber719 is now Dion
>
> marc_g: hi sim :-)
>
> law has left.
>
> law has joined.
>
> DIWOchatbod: hey dion
>
> marc_g: hi dion :-)
>
> Dion: howdy all
>
> marc_g: as you can see our web cam is extremely slow
>
> law: i've just launched the skypecast
>
> DIWOchatbod has left.
>
> DIWOchatbod: is anyone listening to the skypecast?
>
> marc_g: Sim - got your piece in the post...
>
> law: if everyone who joins could mute their mic that'd be great.. please
> talk to us through this
>
> Sent at 02:12 pm on Sunday.
>
> DIWOchatbod has left.
>
> marc_g: can you hear us?
>
> Dion: slow, it's my 56k out here in the countryside that's slow.
> Can't join
> in on the skypecast as doesn't function here.
>
> DIWOchatbod has left.
>
> law: ok well we'll have someone communicating as much as possible
> through
> this so it should be fine
>
> DIWOchatbod has joined.
>
> Sent at 02:15 pm on Sunday.
>
> DIWOchatbod: we will start with basic ground rules for the conversation
>
> we'll go through Ruth's email as a starting point
>
> here are the key phases:1 ground rules 2 review of the phases and 3 get
> started
>
> unless anyone else ha anything to suggest?
>
> Dion has left.
>
> DIWOchatbod: we seem to be having some skype problems
>
> Dion has joined.
>
> DIWOchatbod: since the start we've had over 600 posts
>
> James suggested ways to organise things.
>
> Sent at 02:21 pm on Sunday.
>
> DIWOchatbod: he suggested external links
>
> gabber761 has joined.
>
> DIWOchatbod: it would be nice to have all the films and other media
> clickable. one issue may be how the attachments will be setup
>
> gabber761 has left.
>
> DIWOchatbod: the main proposal to date is a kind of mailbox
>
> Ruth is setting up one of the presentation pieces
>
> it is the DIWO mailbox
>
> Sent at 02:24 pm on Sunday.
>
> law: i'll communicate while ruth fiddles on her mac
>
> we've got to change the permissions on the diwo inbox which we've
> tried to
> export from ruth's machine to the mini mac so it can be projected in the
> space
>
> ruth's not sure how to do the permissions on the mac
>
> Sent at 02:27 pm on Sunday.
>
> law: we're figuring out how to configure machines in the space now so we
> can communicate and see the mailbox
>
> james is here
>
> !
>
> Sent at 02:29 pm on Sunday.
>
> Dion has left.
>
> DIWOchatbod: we are getting James up to speed on what we are
> currently doing
>
> Dion has joined.
>
> DIWOchatbod: We may use two projectors and set it up differently
>
> Ruth has gone to get the second projector.
>
> gabber10 has joined.
>
> Sent at 02:33 pm on Sunday.
>
> gabber10 has left.
>
> DIWOchatbod: we have lift off of the second projector!
>
> marc_g
>
> DIWOchatbod is now marc_g
>
> Sent at 02:39 pm on Sunday.
>
> Invalid login/password.
>
> marc_g is now DIWOchatbot
>
> DIWOchatbot: w'e're just switching the projector setup in the space
>
> Sent at 02:42 pm on Sunday.
>
> law: we can see our inbox!!
>
> Dion has left.
>
> Sent at 02:45 pm on Sunday.
>
> DIWOchatbot: we'll just take a 5 min. break and be right back
>
> Sent at 02:48 pm on Sunday.
>
> DIWOchatbot: we're back
>
> we could project the entire mailbox on the main screen
>
> we could present jpegs and text as they come about...
>
> but we can't present movies or mp3s without clicking on them and
> downloading them
>
> a good example is the work by alan
>
> if it was downloading independently, it creates a problem because it
> means
> creating an interface for that
>
> tit's probably been designed to be viewed at this siz
>
> could load it into quicktime
>
> you'd have to save it to the harddrive
>
> sim gishel has left.
>
> Sent at 02:56 pm on Sunday.
>
> DIWOchatbot: you get a good idea of the quality of the image on the
> screenby looking at the computer screen
>
> the images are really great
>
> it is a bit better
>
> the lights in the room (some) wil be switched off
>
> the filescould all be saved in a folder and played off of the plyer
>
> it might be best to stick to one application, decide what we will use
> and
> stick to it
>
> the problem with windows is the frame
>
> linux wouldn't have that
>
> same problem with MMac
>
> might bot make sense to gather all the things together
>
> it's like saying here's a colleciton of images with no relationship
> necessarily
>
> so just leave in the email?
>
> it's kind of nice to look at the inbox
>
> just so much info it might be hard to make understandable
>
> we could have between 5 or 10 categories and just feed them in
>
> people could start to find what they're interested in
>
> we were talking about having a mail art equivaleent. it doesn't have
> to be
> a signle work, it could be ten ovies looped
>
> could se themes and those that don't fit go in miscelaneous
>
> people could look into the sections that aren't processed leave them a
> choice
>
> gabber739 has joined.
>
> DIWOchatbot: the themes are content based?
>
> gabber739 has left.
>
> DIWOchatbot: James suggested to filter the content through the server in
> different streams?
>
> Can you think of an example?
>
> I wasn't sure if you'd have acess. But you could just have a script that
> could stream different kinds of attachemetns into different folders
>
> so you could see it all in one lump
>
> the archive at the moment is like that but doesn't have html files
>
> the archive is publicly accessible
>
> James hand't seen the archive
>
> the archive could be made accessible here
>
> what would we use the archive for?
>
> we'd have to copy the links into other sections
>
> it's quite difficult(the archive) to digest
>
> with the mailbox its still more mailart
>
> the archive is maybe valuable but not rigth now
>
> iwe should keep it simple
>
> some of the categories sug.
>
> threads, proposals and instructions, stand alone streams and texts.
>
> ssome of the things presented in the themes don't have to be prsented
> online
>
> text is maybe a bit boring
>
> to resolve the issue of mp3 and mp4 we could just download and
> present on a
> seperate screen
>
> we should probably discuss other ways of presenting. not just the
> projection
>
> could be just left in the emails or on monitors
>
> we have otehr things that we want and some might be present twice
>
> one of the problems is that some of them take awya a projector for the
> whole show
>
> there are factors that may work: maybe now is the time to start with
> that
> and curate the show
>
> maybe calling them categories rather than themes and start with the
> sifting
> now we could get a better ideasomething like a monitor might have
> it's own
> caategory
>
> we could show a whole category in one monitor
>
> we'll find a way to set it up
>
> we can use thunderbird as the mail client
>
> we can skin it any way... pink and flowery?
>
> possible to download skins
>
> examples of categories:
>
> threads?
>
> its the discussions, exchanges and responses
>
> collaborations and remixes
>
> szpakowski's work is a good example of this latter category
>
> Sent at 03:16 pm on Sunday.
>
> DIWOchatbot: maybe threads are more time based whereas remixes are not
>
> in remix, teh story is less important
>
> in remixes you have different processes more of a mail related thing
>
> context is important but over the course of the project there wasn't as
> much collaboration as expected
>
> less of an agreement than a continual exchange
>
> One of the reasons Clive left was because there wasn't the kind of
> collaboration he expected
>
> there wasn't a sort of shared effort
>
> people just didn't want to collaborate
>
> it doesn;'t encourage that kind of col.
>
> not easy to come to a concludion about why that is
>
> we just don't know why that took place
>
> could be an interesting folow up
>
> maybe collaboration isn't the most important aspect but remix,
> mashuop, cut
> and paste
>
> poetic terrorism,
>
> generative art stuff that was also good
>
> different levels that were going on ratehr than obvious col.
>
> We never said this was going to be all about col.
>
> not particularly concerned about it
>
> what we've got, like the image at the beginning of the DIWO, is that
> its a
> col. that is what they have at hand
>
> using the software they can
>
> what makes that different from other pieces?
>
> that there was an invitation and that it was presented as a mailart
> project
>
> at the start there was just a bombardement
>
> it was really fun
>
> people responded and abbandonned their inhibitions
>
> people did a lot
>
> tappered off but they were still engaged
>
> basically, we've got a lot to feature
>
> what's happened is that it didn't turn out how we wanted or planned but
> that probably what we're dealing with and not a bad thing
>
> will be interesting to see the final document
>
> gabber48 has joined.
>
> DIWOchatbot: back to categories: threads is a good cat.
>
> law: hi 48!
>
> DIWOchatbot: do we need sub-cat.
>
> law: please enter your name in the name dialogue and press change
>
> or enter whatever yu want to be called
>
> :)
>
> DIWOchatbot: threads might not be a cat. because: how many pieces
> have not
> gone through the process of being threads?
>
> if we're going to show it, it needs to be presented that way.
>
> if it's a conversation its a thread?
>
> no because it needs to be more conccutive
>
> yes, if a correspondance goes on for two weeks, then it is. two mails do
> not a thread make
>
> in any presentation document, we need to explain what we mean by things
>
> so discussion, exchange, etc.are sub-threads
>
> it's difficult to get people to get involved
>
> does any one want to contribute to the discussion?
>
> what about digital becomes material?
>
> gabber48 is now tone
>
> DIWOchatbot: is that mainly sim?
>
> a little demo of Sim's work
>
> Sent at 03:29 pm on Sunday.
>
> law: hi tone
>
> feel free to contribute to the convo or just listen :)
>
> DIWOchatbot: should we talk about some of the things that will be made
> physical
>
> The little robot could be setup on a plinth
>
> Sent at 03:31 pm on Sunday.
>
> DIWOchatbot: so the plinth would have a wooden ledge that would allow
> it to
> work
>
> how would we document everything?
>
> can we say why marx is being read?
>
> we're not doing concentual or anything
>
> we're definitely having it
>
> how about the sound recordings?
>
> (for the work)
>
> we could get Giles to get the minidisc working and download it on there
>
> send him the files to put on the minidisc
>
> they would be connected through the headphoness
>
> we could also have it on speakers
>
> we're going to have sound... not decided
>
> how do we present the mp3 and quicktime?
>
> it would be nice for it to be presented in the space
>
> so maybe keep marx on the headphones
>
> what about the movies?
>
> if they go on the monitor, then they can have sound on the headphones
>
> would it be good to have all the sound files playing on a loop in the
> space?
>
> could be nice
>
> but how would we be able to discern who's who?
>
> some have submitted a few sound files
>
> Sent at 03:37 pm on Sunday.
>
> DIWOchatbot: the loop would go for... not certain.... a while
>
> we've decided then that we would show films on the monitor
>
> it's an option
>
> so we will definitely have:
>
> Sim's machine
>
> (we could ask Sim to send us a photo of Karl Marx
>
> )
>
> we could have a picture of a capitalist like Bush under the pen of Sim's
> work
>
> we could have a conversation with sim on the list about what would go
> well
>
> we're listening to one of James' submitions
>
> It could sound quite cool having this play in the room
>
> So maybe the sound files are collected and looped
>
> do we loop them in order of submission or in a themed way?
>
> I would think whatever is simplest
>
> James hasen't really heard any of the other sounds
>
> so it's hard to sya
>
> most of Sondheim's are Mp4s
>
> w'ell just integrate it and if people want a copy, they'll have to
> buy the
> compilation of the contributions
>
> You could have a track listing of all the different contributions and
> that's that
>
> if people want a copy, they buy it
>
> but that might be more than we cn manage
>
> there's no way for people to find out what's playing
>
> if we use the minidisc palyer for sim, we need to play it off of
> something
> else
>
> we could have a projection of the sound files and a list so that
> people can
> just click and play them
>
> we can always just have the sound played off of the minimac
>
> in hte other room
>
> so we just copy everything on a CD and just play it off the minimac
>
> we can post a track listing but it isn't important to show who is
> playing
> whan
>
> let's just do that
>
> so, we'd play everything that's just a sound file
>
> Marc will download all the sound files onto a Cd and play off of the Mac
> mini
>
> there are 4 speakers srround sound
>
> Sent at 03:47 pm on Sunday.
>
> tone: just to get serious for a moment, its currently Tottenham 3-1
> Bolton!
>
> DIWOchatbot: The other thing for digital becomes material is the
> works by
> Brian
>
> it could be fun to print out on paper and present it
>
> print out every image and then people could just take them but maybe it
> would be too much
>
> could have a printer and people select what they want to print
>
> that sounds good
>
> we could have stuff on the wall but if they find stuff they like they
> can
> print it
>
> how would they find what they wnt to print
>
> ?
>
> So what would the process be?
>
> They would see what they like in the mailbox and then just download what
> they like?
>
> Dion has joined.
>
> law: welcome back dion!
>
> DIWOchatbot: so we could just set this uyp with the network printer
> and let
> people just print what they like
>
> So we're agreed about the printer?
>
> yes, they look like emails and that's not a problem
>
> it seems that they want to print two pages instead of just one
>
> I guess it depends on the config. We'd have to make some lkind of set
> up to
> make sure they don't print out more than what they need
>
> Dion: just poppin' in and out. terrible connection. Perhaps it's
> better I
> just sign off and read the thread later. I hope you all are nibbling on
> some smarties.
>
> DIWOchatbot: they could just email it to themselves or to someone else.
>
> law: sorry you're having a hard time with the connection
>
> we've got nice crisps and cake.. no smarties I'm afraid
>
> i think we'll probably post the convo to the list
>
> but if you have comments please submit them.. you can email them to the
> list while we're doing this and we can try to incorporate them as we go
>
> Sent at 03:55 pm on Sunday.
>
> DIWOchatbot: so if we have a printer and people can print some things
> out
>
> ...
>
> are we thinking of having the mailbox projected where it is now?
>
> I'm just thinking that it would be nice to have it as high as
> possible...
> yes, that would be it
>
> tone: Remember: "the easier the better"
>
> DIWOchatbot: it would be setup as it was originallywith the wireless
> keyboard and mouse so that people can roam through the mailbox
>
> they could view the works through the mailbox
>
> so there's the spare projector
>
> we need to decide whether we'd project the spakowski movie
>
> we haven't yet seen the champion work
>
> [the wonderhorse floating infornt of a wind turbine]
>
> it's nice that he's been able to make these attachments under 200k
>
> so if we'd have this installation, there'd be some physical aspect to
> the
> installation (deck chairs)
>
> the original by Jon and then there is the reply by szpakowsky
>
> Dion: and Michael's old couple watching the series of images roll past
> (collab. with whomever submitted that photo:
>
> DIWOchatbot: that what we're looking at now
>
> do you think it's worthy of a whole projector?
>
> gabber218 has joined.
>
> law: hi 218
>
> feel free to type your name in the dialogue and hit change to identify
> yourself
>
> Dion: super piece alone. maybe ask if he wants to lengthen in or loop it
>
> law: and then listen/chat as you wish :)
>
> i would think he'd be happy to loop it
>
> as he loops most things :)
>
> we're talking about printing thompsons originial image
>
> A2 format and post it on the wall
>
> and then project michael's loop next to it
>
> to show the collaboration
>
> Dion: cool.
>
> DIWOchatbot: it really communicates the stream of stuff that's been
> coming
> in
>
> if we have the other movies showing on the monitor then we don't have to
> worry about the projector taking up this one piece
>
> it's legitimate to have the sound files playing on a loop but there
> are a
> lot of movies and we may have to be a little selective of the movies
>
> what are the criteria then?
>
> before settling that, we' should settle the projector
>
> if the monitor plays other things, it may be ok
>
> why do we think this is a good idea? Because there' s the potential
> to get
> a good print out and it highlights a prolific contributor and it also is
> fun that these net artists are going to be printed out
>
> Is there a high res. version of this?
>
> yes, we have one
>
> wecould project it small and just make it the same size as the image
>
> we could back project it
>
> Dion: Back to viewing the mailbox and printing. Pysically printing and
> allowing peopel to take the prints with them, or perhaps collage or
> place
> where they want may be a consideration. Also, to offer the works for
> free
> and suggest that they can email from
>
> the gallery to themselves or whomever
>
> DIWOchatbot: Ruth imagined it on the far wall. it might be important to
> decide what else will be in before deciding that
>
> that's exactly what we were talking about although we hadn't thought
> about
> letting people place the print outs
>
> but it may be better to have works already on the wall
>
> Dion: it could get messy
>
> DIWOchatbot: in terms of physical space: if there are long threads... we
> could print them in a scroll
>
> tone: "they can email to themselves" - now you're talkin!
>
> DIWOchatbot: grreat! That's good
>
> gabber218 has left.
>
> DIWOchatbot: and to friends too
>
> gabber670 has joined.
>
> Dion: yes, but from a netbehavior or http: mail account
>
> law: hi 670
>
> !
>
> yep that's the idea
>
> DIWOchatbot: the threads could just be in a scroll on the wall, there
> could
> be 4 or 5 of them
>
> law: 670, feel free to replace the gabber name with your own and join
> in as
> you wish!
>
> gabber670 has left.
>
> DIWOchatbot: what would be works that were posted to Ruth and Marc but
> weren't on the list?
>
> what do you all think about letting works by Heath and Andy
> that were submitted directly ro Ruth and MArc
>
> should they be included?
>
> How do we decide what is an appropriate thread.?
>
> tone: you won't believe this, but Robbie Kean's been sent off!!
>
> DIWOchatbot: Ruth will just pick a few and send them out to people
>
> Dion: on the tech and specs. page, 2 projectors are among the list. I
> think
> you should use every available computer, monitor, tv and projector. get
> that place humming and sounding like a bit computer multi-media machine
>
> DIWOchatbot: to see what they think
>
> law: we plan to use the second projector for the mailbox where people
> can
> print etc
>
> and a monitor w a selection of films
>
> DIWOchatbot: we should maybe ask him to submit it in a smaller format on
> the list
>
> Dion: hey, you all aren't looking at michael's movie, you're watching a
> football match projected on the gallery wall!
>
> law: and all the sound files playing in the space
>
> DIWOchatbot: quite a few things are just posted as a URL so that
> might be a
> way to get around the size limitations
>
> law: we're actually watching YOU talk to us!!
>
> DIWOchatbot: There's nothing to stop us from posting it to the list
> ourselves
>
> Andy asked not to post publicly because he doesn't want to get dumped on
> for it
>
> he's being penalised because he's political
>
> but he's not really limited in terms of exposure already
>
> if it isn't falling within the remit of the mail project then it isn't
> really related
>
> Dion: no penalties, no deadlines
>
> DIWOchatbot: what do you mean by that?
>
> is it that no one should be excluded no matter what?
>
> You should just talk to him to see what could be arranged
>
> what about heath?
>
> well then if he can't be bothered, it isn't worth it
>
> Dion: if their intent is to communicate their art but are intimidated
> they
> should be encouraged
>
> DIWOchatbot: we should have conversations with people to explain how
> things
> are setup and make them understand the format
>
> law: i dont think they're intimitaed
>
> one couldnt be bothered to subscribe to the list
>
> bc he didnt want an inbox-full
>
> the other felt politically vulnerable
>
> bc of the content of the work
>
> DIWOchatbot: we'll send heath and andy a URL to the ten minute
> subscription
> so that they can post what they want
>
> Dion: right, that is their problem
>
> tone: "get that place humming and sounding like a bit computer multi-
> media
> machine." Fair enough, but out of that chaos it would be great if you
> could
> offer some CLARITY, some over-arching, organising PRINCIPLE.
>
> law: we've been discussing categories
>
> categories that will show up in hte mailbox and in physical
> manifestations
> in the gallery
>
> any ideas of what that principle might be?
>
> tone: the question is what is the ESSENCE of this activity?
>
> DIWOchatbot: there are two main things that need to be sorted out: where
> sim's work will go and the general physical placing of everything
>
> law: what do you htink?
>
> DIWOchatbot: and what the other categories are likely to be
>
> Sent at 04:30 pm on Sunday.
>
> Dion: sure, categorize. you've got the music/sound covered. video,
> play it
> al or select and mix. maybe even play it back the whold DIWO thread as
> screenshots of the whole interaction
>
> DIWOchatbot: Here are the categories we're at:digital becomes physical
> (brian netart guy currency, neil's and sim's thing)
>
> threads
>
> law: we've got all the emails visible as emails
>
> DIWOchatbot: generative/machine art
>
> (that's three)
>
> stand alone streams
>
> and finally texts
>
> Dion: I've got to run. cheers and best
>
> law: thanks!!!!!
>
> Dion: thank y'all. chow, by
>
> Dion has left.
>
> Sent at 04:33 pm on Sunday.
>
> DIWOchatbot: we're going to take a quick break
>
> brb
>
> Sent at 04:35 pm on Sunday.
>
> marc_g has left.
>
> tone: What lies at the heart of this process? What are people are
> doing (or
> not doing) with these new tools? The show should address these
> questions.
> But first YOU need to.
>
> Sent at 04:39 pm on Sunday.
>
> gabber918 has joined.
>
> DIWOchatbot: in what way should we address this?
>
> Sent at 04:41 pm on Sunday.
>
> tone: the way you organise the show will be one way, but if you're
> thinking
> is muddled so will be the show..
>
> DIWOchatbot: do you get the impression that the thinking is muddled?
>
> Sent at 04:43 pm on Sunday.
>
> tone: what do you think is the ESSENCE of this activity?
>
> DIWOchatbot: seems to me to be the DIWO project and its resulting
> works...
> no?
>
> law: hi 918
>
> feel free to join in as you wish :)
>
> Sent at 04:45 pm on Sunday.
>
> DIWOchatbot: we're getting started again
>
> tone: have you thought about DISTANCE as a distinguishing feature?
>
> DIWOchatbot: it's a mailart show so distance is always part of the
> medium
> for mailart
>
> but with networks we have immediacy
>
> tone: How can you reflect that in the presentation?
>
> DIWOchatbot: how would you suggest we reflect that in the presentation?
>
> tone: 2 processes
>
> DIWOchatbot: ok
>
> tone: empasise that
>
> DIWOchatbot: do you mean mailart and immediacy?
>
> tone: theres a tension, a creative tension inb that?
>
> DIWOchatbot: we're going to have two parrallel conversations
>
> law: what's the tension?
>
> tone: separation and togetherness
>
> law: indeed
>
> tone: separation and togetherness
>
> DIWOchatbot: in the case of texts, we have a few things that may be
> context
> texts... we could call it textual dialogue
>
> that opens it up
>
> so textual dialogue will be the last category
>
> law: i think those things will be reflected by the categories... threads
> for example are an example of togetherness across separation,
> asynchronous
> collaboriation
>
> DIWOchatbot: the last thing to do in terms of the list is the
> space... and
> the print-outs
>
> there are going to be double ups so we might as well print out things
> that
> look interesting
>
> gabber918 has left.
>
> DIWOchatbot: there are things that come in clusters... how do we deal
> with
> them?
>
> we could just print various things and have them in a grid
>
> Would some of them be large format? or just prin out in many multiples
>
> A lot of it should be quite small so that we would need to walk up to it
>
> no cropping
>
> lots of postcard style
>
> very mailart style
>
> That's a lot of cropping though
>
> we'd have to print them out and crop them out
>
> a concern is that it might start to look really tacky
>
> in a way it might be better to put them on a proper flat surface
>
> or it may be better to have fewer and larger images
>
> we could print them out in folders and people would leaf through
>
> but people are doing that already online
>
> we don't want people to say there aren't enough examples of the work
>
> we could just have one big role of paper on the wall with a print out of
> many images
>
> we could have all types of images on a big role
>
> but that would mean some designing, it would have to be slicker than
> just
> printing them out anbd posting them in a certain way
>
> it might be nice to just pin them up ... just loads of images
>
> we'd just have to crop them
>
> keep the images in the same size it would make a nice movement around
> the
> room
>
> are we going to select images somehow or just do it indiscriminately
>
> ?
>
> there are a lot of image files
>
> tone: keep things as simple as poss
>
> DIWOchatbot: Marc doesn't mind going through some of those
>
> would you have a suggestion for how to make the selection?
>
> instead of wasting a bunch of paper, it might be a good idea to sopy and
> paste them into a file in advance so that it is not full of white space
>
> another question is how to select the movies and show them on the
> monitor
>
> the main questions of curating the images and movies need to be settled
> before the end of the discussion
>
> there's a lot that sondheim has submitted, do we want to post all of it?
>
> there may be a need to give priority to those that submitted to DIWO
> instead of just netbehaviour
>
> maybe just the ones that have DIWO in the subject lines?
>
> Some conciously submitted to netbehaviour instead of DIWO
>
> they didn't aknowledge the difference between the two
>
> in the time that we've got, we won't really have time to go through
> everything
>
> we've also got to look through the archives or jsut through the links
>
> so we'd have to go through the whole thing
>
> Sent at 05:05 pm on Sunday.
>
> DIWOchatbot: Are there anyone that we could ask to select the movies?
>
> How many movies do we want in total?
>
> it would take a while but it would be better than starting from
> scratch and
> not having to go through everything from the beginning.
>
> gabber783 has joined.
>
> DIWOchatbot: Maybe we decide now about 40 or something
>
> the only problem is the DVD burning hat we need to do
>
> It would be best to have everything formatted by Thursday
>
> tone: have to go - peace!
>
> law: thanks tone!!!
>
> appreciate your contributing
>
> tone has left.
>
> law: hi 783
>
> feel free to join in as you wish
>
> DIWOchatbot: WE'd need it by Tuesday night to be comfortable
>
> we'' l just bunr them on CDs
> =================================================
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> NetBehaviour mailing list
> NetBehaviour@netbehaviour.org
> http://www.netbehaviour.org/mailman/listinfo/netbehaviour